What's New

Keeping you informed of the latest industry developments and company updates

A New FPG Says Poll: Feminine Care Products

 

FPG polled a random, national sample of just over 500 females, ages 14-45, on the topic of feminine care products: what products they use regularly, what specialty products they have tried, and how they categorize their menstrual flow.

 

 

A list of feminine hygiene products was presented, and we asked respondents to tell us which, if any, they use.  The list consisted of the following products: feminine cleansing wash/foam, freshening feminine spray, cleansing cloth, body powder, and douche.  Over half (51.2%) of respondents reported using a feminine cleansing wash/foam.  This was the most-used product among respondents that use such products.  The least-used product is douche, with only 10.2% of respondents reporting usage.  A third (33%) of respondents reported they do not use any of the listed feminine hygiene products.

Respondents were asked to describe their menstrual flow from light to very heavy.  Of the respondents that experience a menstrual cycle (95.6%), half (50%) describe their menstrual flow as medium.  The majority (77%) of respondents describe their flow as either medium or heavy, while a much smaller number of respondents describe their flow as light (10%) or very heavy (8.5%). A small sample (4.4%) reported not having a menstrual cycle.

A second (differing) list of feminine hygiene products, related specifically to menstruation, was provided to respondents.  They were asked to tell us which of these products they have used in the past six months.  The list was comprised of different size varieties/absorbencies of pads and tampons, and also included panty liners/shields and the menstrual cup.

There is wide-ranging usage among the different pad and tampon size varieties/absorbencies.  The products used by most respondents in the recent past are panty liners/shields and regular absorbency tampons; more than half of respondents have used panty liners/shields (56.6%) and/or regular absorbency tampons (53.3%) in the past six months.  The data shows that the lesser-used products are those designed for “maximum protection”.  An alternative to disposable feminine hygiene products for menstruation, the menstrual cup, was used by just over 7% of respondents in the past six months.

Lastly, we asked respondents about their usage of “specialty” menstruation products, namely, sport or fitness and natural/organic pads and tampons.

Nearly two-thirds (63%) of respondents have used a sport or fitness menstrual product in the past, while the other one-third or so (37%) have not.  As for natural/organic menstrual products, most respondents (70.7%) have not tried such a product, but would be open to doing so in the future.  Just over 24% of respondents have tried natural/organic menstrual products at some point; roughly 90% said they would use them again, while 10% would not use them again.  Approximately 5% of respondents have never tried natural/organic menstrual products and will not consider using them.